Behind the Scenes

Discussion in 'News' started by MrSuperSweet, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Hey everyone!

It’s been quite some time since the last news post, so let’s fix that! It’s become clear to me that the community is concerned about the dropping player count, this is normal in a growing server. Since we are currently in BETA, and clearly this is our first time ever running a network, we are feeling out how everything works! There are a lot of moving parts in a server network, and we feel this would be a good time to shed some light on the “Behind the Scenes” of running a server network, then talk about the future plans for the server!

With anything, the larger the mountain you wish to climb, the more complicated gear you need to make it to the top. So far these are the main things we have found are necessary to get this far with the network.

Staff

The staff are the foundation of the community, and the community the foundation of the server. Each staff member starts out as a dedicated player, each with a passion for the server and the players. The Staff’s job is to monitor player’s actions, and interactions on the server. It would be naive to think this is all they do. Staff not only help players in game, but in life, providing a social safe haven where those can be themselves. The server could never have gotten to this point without this family as its foundation. I would also like to take this moment to welcome our newest staff, Ross, Weezy, and Josh! Welcome to the family guys!

Development

There is a common misconception that the only development is simply “Games”. There is also a misconception as to the speed at which this development can take place. There are 3 types of development that you will find on the server.

Game Development

The games you play on the server.

System Development

The back-end of the server, Statistics, Game Joining, Friend Systems, Etc!

System Administration

The management of the hardware, and software that allows us to do what we do.

Web Development

The management and development of the website, forums, and the like.

Creation

All the beautiful things on the server you enjoy from builds and artwork go through a process. First we find an artist for the desired task. When you are first starting off it takes much longer than you would think, trying to avoid the fraud, and find someone who is talented, sometimes months. This not only applies to artwork, but development, building, and the like. We then create a summary of the work to be done, then the drafting and refinement process begins. We have had the following assets created.

Builds

Every Build you see on the server was created by a build team after weeks of refinement.

Development

Web, Systems, Games, and more. Thousands of lines of code done over months.

Artwork

This follows a slightly different creative process which is quite enjoyable to watch.

Video

From animation, to banners, this process is lengthy and erratic.

Services

When you start to get higher player counts, 25, 50, 100, 1000, you need more powerful infrastructure. Unfortunately there is no 1,000 player option on the “MCProHosting” selector. So you need to figure out what servers are best for you. Over the past year we have tried 5 different data centers and server companies. It finally came full circle and we currently host with OVH. We will be adding EU game servers soon, along with game servers with OVH’s west coast data center coming this year. Another factor to this is our protection. DDOS mitigation is dissipation of a DDOS attack. Finding the proper protection is difficult, trying to find the sweet spot between expensive, and quality is a lengthy and error filled process.

Management

There are many other functions that most wouldn't think about when running a server, but the truth is that you need to run it like any business. This means managing your expenses, taxes, email, negotiation, registration, legal contracts and more. You need to monitor every function of the server from players, development, builds, staff and the like, all constantly moving.

I’m sure there are many other sections that escaped my mind, ones that at this point have become routine in nature. My advice to anyone looking to create a network, or anything in life is 2 things. 1. If it was easy, everyone would do it. 2. The road to success is full of failure.

That said lets quickly talk about the plans for NirvanaMC! So as many of you have noticed there is a drop in player count, and this is to be expected. Around two months ago we finally launched into a public BETA, and needed to test our infrastructure and development. So we began running advertisements to make sure everything would hold up, which it didn't. So we have stopped these advertisements, and are now working on refining the server. We are planning on doing the next run of advertisements in February which means that the player count will be slowly dropping up to that point. In the month of January we are going to be adding 3 new main games (Sky Wars, Zombies, and the PVP Zone). We will also be implementing an "Arcade for the less popular, but still fun games! Along with these games we will be releasing new Hubs and Sub Hubs, along with a “Hub Update” to go along with these new maps. “Cubed Chaos” will also be getting completely redone, with brand new plugins, infrastructure, and map. Don’t be too alarmed as this won’t be taking place for months.

That's all the news that's fit to print! We look forward to seeing you all on the server, and your feedback as we go through this next phase together.

- MrSuperSweet

• Like Like x 2
  2. my idea for a kit is suicideman

3. Glad to be a part of the team <3

4. I do xD

5. Thank you for accepted me (and the others) into the team! I'm pretty sure all of us have spoke to each other before, so that's all good. I'm glad to be apart of the staff team <3

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Congrats who got into the team! :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yay, I'm part of the team now :D Thanks MrSuperSweet for this awesome opportunity :)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Thanks for the update super! And congrats to our new team members

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. *thumbs up*

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. What DDoS protection do you use? I suggest CloudFlare, they provide great protection at a relatively cheap price.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Is there a way I can join the staff squad as a helper?

I have been playing SG Sploof and Crusafe on this server for a couple months(2 or 3)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. You can apply to become a staff member by clicking on the Application Forms tab, then clicking on Moderator and filling out the form ^.^

• Like Like x 1
  13. Late Post <---

• Like Like x 1
  14. uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

15. where is the link??